Outdoor Exhibits

Cannon for signaling noon

  • 午砲
Name
Cannon for signaling noon (Collection of the former Musashino Folklore Museum)
Period of use
From 1871 to April 1929
Original location
Edo Castle in Chiyoda, Tokyo, where the Imperial Palace now stands
Explain

This replaced a bell that was rung at Edo Castle to announce the time, and was used to fire blanks to tell people when it was noon.

Stone Chamber at Seto-oka No.1

  • 瀬戸岡1号墳
Name
Stone Chamber at Seto-oka No.1 (Collection of the former Musashino Folklore Museum)
Period
Asuka period (late 7th century)
Original location
Akiruno, Tokyo
Explain

This consists of an underground horizontal chamber made from river stones. Unlike most such structures found in Japan, the grave mound is barely visible aboveground.

Kōshin stupa for the repose of souls

  • 奉供養庚申塔
Name
Kōshin stupa for the repose of souls (Collection of the former Musashino Folklore Museum)
Period
1700
Explain

Erected by adherents of Kōshin, a folk faith that originated in Taoism, monuments of this type were often erected to commemorate having performed the Kōshin-ko ritual eighteen times over a three-year period. The association between Kōshin and the three wise monkeys is thought to have originated in the late seventeenth century.

Stone measure

  • 石枡
Name
Stone measure (Collection of the former Musashino Folklore Museum)
Period
Edo period (1603-1868)
Explain

Cisterns like this formed part of the water supply system in Edo (now Tokyo), and were equipped to remove sand and mud and to cut off or adjust the supply of water. Next to it stands a stone trough that was also used to supply water during the Edo period.

Stone lantern of the Kan’eiji Temple

  • 寛永寺灯籠
Name
Stone lantern of the Kan’eiji Temple
Period
June 20, 1751
Original location
Taito, Tokyo
Explain

This was presented to Kan’eiji, funeral temple of the Tokugawas, following the death of the eighth shogun, Tokugawa Yoshimune.

Electric light at the front gate of the Imperial Palace

  • 皇居正門石橋飾電燈
Name
Electric light at the front gate of the Imperial Palace
Period
late 1880s to mid-1890s
Original location
Chiyoda, Tokyo
Explain

One of the six lamps that used to stand on the parapets on each side of a stone bridge at the palace. The pedestal is a replica.

Ueno fire department watch tower upper section

  • 上野消防署(旧下谷消防署)望楼上部
Name
Ueno fire department watch tower upper section
Built in
1925
Original location
Taito, Tokyo
Explain

This is a modern version of the towers from which firefighters used to keep a lookout for fires in Edo. It consists of a four-layered tripodal structure with an exposed gallery running around a central cab, and was originally 23.6 meters tall. It was used until 1970.

City train model 7500

  • 都電7500形
Name
City train model 7500
Made in
1962
Depots
Aoyama, Yanagishima, and then Arakawa, in Tokyo
Explain

This used to serve the route from Shibuya Station to Shinbashi, Hamacho-nakanohashi, Suda-cho (Kanda), and back again. Streetcars began to disappear from the streets of Tokyo from 1963, but still run on the Arakawa line.

復元建造物Reconstructed Buildings